Hi there, Well an overdose is when the body can’t handle the chemical messages coming from the drug and basically stops working correctly. Drugs don’t kill people or brain cells usually but in high doses when someone takes too much the body cannot break down the drug chemically and it continues to act longer than it should. The most common problem that leads to fatal overdose is actually mixing drugs.
Most drug users also drink alcohol, which can slow breathing. Overdoses of alcohol can cause unconsciousness. Certain drugs will tell the heart muscle to slow down like alcohol but others (the so-called stimulants like cocaine or ecstasy) will say speed up, so in combination this is dangerous. Stimulants also cause the body to produce heat, so if they’re taken in a crowded night club there are risks that the dose can cause dangerous heating and blood pressure.
Not very pleasant stuff but it should be known so thanks for asking!